The Bright Side of 2020

Created by Abby Thomas ’23.

Abby Thomas '23, Sports Editor

Without a doubt, 2020 was a difficult year for all of us. With the COVID-19 outbreak, the wildfires around the world, the passing of many prominent figures, political division, and countless instances of social injustice, last year was undoubtedly challenging. Many will look back on 2020 as a year of heartbreak, madness, and division. But we can also look back on the year as a year of hope, reform, and unity. Despite all of the trials we endured, our hearts and humanity still shone through.

On a global level, the environment drastically improved due to the lack of carbon emissions and the institution of “the world’s biggest ocean sustainability initiative.” Along with that, doctors, nurses, and other healthcare workers stepped up to become 2020’s heroes. Scientists also began a race against the pandemic and have successfully manufactured a vaccine for COVID-19. 

According to Macy Millones ‘23, “The best thing about 2020 was the incredibly rapid production of the vaccine. It shows the significant strides made in science and the endless possibilities that can come from collaboration.”

On a national level, the Supreme Court ruled that an individual cannot be fired for being gay or transgender. And on November 7, Joe Biden was declared the President-Elect, making Kamala Harris our nation’s first female, first Black, and first Asian-American vice president. 

After the murders of Ahmaud Arbery, George Floyd, and Breonna Taylor, there was a major uproar from protestors all over the country, who united to demand justice and change. The protests have sparked reform in many states and is a large step in reaching racial justice in America.

Cessa Lewis ‘23 recognized the protests’ effect on the St. Luke’s community.  

“Our school is even being more conscious of what being anti-racist looks like,” Lewis said. “The events that caused [the protests], horrific deaths caused by the police, . . . you can’t even comprehend the pain that that inflicted on Americans. But out of that came . . . an opportunity for growth.”

Alongside the unity of people across the country, the generosity in people’s hearts grew as well. When we were all hit by the COVID-19 pandemic, it was devastating, but there were countless people that had it much worse than others. Those who with the ability to give saw those struggling greatly during the pandemic, and their hearts opened. Many people started to want to give to charity and organizations and were eager to help those in need. 

The St. Luke’s community has been looking for ways to do service work whilst in a pandemic. The Center For Leadership (CFL) found many remote opportunities for SLS students. The Sentinel also released an article about how to support SLS parent-founded organization, Filling in The Blanks. Although this pandemic has been devastating for the world, it has reminded people to look beyond themselves.

In addition to all of these national and international successes, we also had a few more local successes. In the spring of 2020, the Sentinel had one of the largest staffs in school history. Also in the spring, our sports program made the best out of unfortunate circumstances and found ways to celebrate senior days and keep up practices. We as a school have also been able to be on campus for the majority of the 2020-2021 school year thus far. Having the experience of being on campus brings more joy to the student body. When we are all together, it’s really special to be able to connect more.

2020 was not an ideal year, but through all of the hardships, the love and unity of the world shone through. In 2021, we should live this year with no regrets. We should strive to not dwell on the past and all of the unfortunate events that occurred last year, and instead look forward to the future with a positive attitude.