Valentines for Vets

Patrick Gunn '26, Staff Writer

For the last twelve years, Congressman Jim Himes has arranged a “Valentines for Vets” program, which encourages citizens, particularly students, to create Valentine’s cards for people who served in the military. Taking part in this program is a great way to show appreciation for those who served and sacrificed for their country.

With the help of the Service Board, SLS students participate in the program, creating cards that will be delivered to Jim Himes’ office, and from there distributed to local veterans. Every year this program provides cards to specific organizations, yielding the most significant impact possible. For example, in 2020, Valentines were sent to the local VA hospital, Homes for the Brave in Bridgeport, and other veterans service organizations in the Fourth District.

The impact of Valentines for Vets is significant and Jim Himes said, “I have seen how appreciative veterans are when someone sincerely thanks them for their service and know they were incredibly grateful for the many beautiful cards they received.”

During all lunch periods this Thursday, February 2, the Service Board invited students to come by the Commons and make some Valentine’s cards to show appreciation for veterans and contribute to this worthy cause.