The Student News Site of St. Luke's School

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

SLS on Instagram

Best Bites Near the Be Kind Plaza

Best Bites Near the Be Kind Plaza

Are you a coffee person? Do you like to eat sandwiches or avocado toast for breakfast? There are many fantastic food options near school, no matter your craving. This article is a list of the best restaurants near campus according to St. Luke’s juniors and seniors. 

Farmers Grind (South Salem)

Everyone saw this one coming. The Farmers Grind is a small, family-owned coffee shop serving coffee, sandwiches, and treats. They opened in 2020 and have been a great addition to the community.  They have since opened another location in New Canaan; however, their South Salem location is the closest to the school, just 1.5 miles away. It is also directly across the street from the junior parking lot, making it easy to go and grab a bite to eat or a coffee. They offer a St. Luke’s student discount, making it the obvious choice if you need a pick-me-up at the beginning or during your day.  

Nico’s Italian Deli (South Salem)

This lesser-known spot is just up Route 123 in New York,  three miles from school. They serve a multitude of different sandwiches. Specifically, Grady Millones ‘25 recommends the #1 sandwich, which he calls “top-tier.” The #1 sandwich is a chicken cutlet sandwich with bacon, melted cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayo. Another amazing sandwich from Nico’s is the #8, a Prosciutto di Parma sandwich with mozzarella, lettuce, tomato, roasted peppers, and their deli dressing. With the food they serve and their distance from school, Nico’s is a no-brainer.

Tony’s Deli / Zumbach’s Coffee (New Canaan)

Tony’s Deli offers various foods, from sandwiches and breakfast platters to chicken tenders and more. Tony’s is also in the same building as Zumbach’s Coffee, one of the best coffee shops in town. They have so many different coffees and drinks, that it can be hard to choose what you want! The perfect morning pair, in my opinion, would be the “Hunger-Killer” sandwich (a sandwich with chorizo sausage, fried egg, muenster cheese, home fries, and avocado on a Portuguese roll) from Tony’s, with an iced latte from Zumbach’s. The fact that both places are next to each other makes them even better, as one student said.

New Canaan Chicken (New Canaan)

If you have been going to St. Luke’s for more than two weeks, it is nearly impossible not to know about New Canaan Chicken. It is often the first pick for advisory lunches, and also the first pick for seniors going out to get lunch. As their name suggests, they serve a variety of chicken dishes, such as sandwiches, nuggets, wings, and more. They also have different types of sandwiches, which are amazing. However, their most popular meal is the “NC Special 1”, which has a ¼ pound of chicken nuggets, the option of fries or cones, and a drink, all for $13. 

If school food isn’t doing it for you, or you want a nice breakfast before school, these places would be your best bet.