The Student News Site of St. Luke's School

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

SLS on Instagram

The St. Luke’s Campus Eclipsed

The St. Luke’s Campus Eclipsed
MJ Owens

If you walked outside onto the Upper School Field on April 8 from three pm to four pm, you would have seen hundreds of students looking up at the sky. It was an afternoon full of fun, excitement, good music, and high energy as students prepared to see a once-in-a-lifetime event: the solar eclipse which passed over North America. 

St. Luke’s School was a near-perfect spot to observe the eclipse, as the school’s location granted a 92% totality in sun coverage. Students and teachers commented on this incredible spectacle. 

When asked what people’s thoughts and feelings about the eclipse were, the results were overwhelmingly positive. 

MJ Owens ‘24 said, “I am feeling so good! I love the wholesomeness and community we are all feeling.” 

Izzy Levi ‘24 offered a slightly new perspective on the eclipse and said, “I’m loving this! I am not a science person and this is so cool to experience.”

Eliza Schwartz

Regardless of academic interests, everyone was able to see and appreciate the event. Other seniors commented on the importance of this event. 

Maya Coniglio ‘24 said, “I think this is a life-changing moment and[…] one of the most incredible days of my life.” 

As this is the first visible eclipse in America since 2017, to come together and experience it together meant a lot to seniors as they prepare to leave the St. Luke’s community. 

Sofia Staikos ‘24 offered a very relatable perspective. She said, “I already looked at the sun twice.” 

Staikos is not alone, as many other students were caught looking at the sun accidentally.

Joshua Schneider, Upper School Science Teacher, commented on the science behind the eclipse. When asked what causes the eclipse, Schneider said, “The moon goes in between the sun and the earth; an eclipse is just us standing in the shadow of the moon.”

Schneider gave advice to all people watching the eclipse and said, “This is a rare experience. Enjoy it and make the most of every eclipse you can.” 

The United States will not see another total solar eclipse until 2044. The students heeded Schneider’s advice, and the afternoon of April 8 was certainly one for the books.