The Student News Site of St. Luke's School

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

SLS on Instagram

Senior Spotlight: Marcues Jean-Jaques’ Journey to the Hilltop

Sofia Staikos

Marcues Jean-Jaques is used to the words “new kid.” Since stepping onto the Hilltop, he’s the new, 19-year-old senior that everyone has been talking about. However, there’s more to Jean-Jaques than being new. 

Jean-Jaques is already a star on the football team. His bright personality and strong leadership skills have helped him transition smoothly into the St. Luke’s community. His motivation to reach his goals while maintaining relationships with his large family is what makes his story so inspiring. 

Jean-Jacques was born into a dynamic family in Arlington, Mass. He described his household as “never boring” because he and his five siblings would wrestle and do “normal sibling things.”

“The experience was fun, and I loved it. I love my siblings,” he said.

Jean-Jaques is the second oldest, following his sister, Monica, 23. After him, there’s Jeremiah, 17, Nathaniel, 11, NaNa, 12, and ZaZa, 9. 

A homebody at heart, Jean-Jaques enjoys staying home with his family (and Xbox) instead of going out on the weekends. 

He spent his early childhood with his siblings in Arlington until football drove him toward different states. 

Jean-Jaques began playing football as early as 6 years old, but it wasn’t until he turned 16 that he moved to Texas to pursue better opportunities.          

Texas was not the only place Jean-Jaques would travel. He returned to Arlington for a period, then relocated to Seymour, Connecticut, in 2023, where he still lives with his father. 

When asked about his experience of being constantly referred to as the “new kid,” Jean-Jaques said, “It was and still is a little stressful [being new]. In the beginning, it was fun. New school, new kid. Every place I went to was a new experience, and I liked it a lot. It gets repetitive. I dealt with the same thing every time.” 

On the bright side, Jean-Jaques discussed his welcoming experience on the Hilltop. 

“People are really nice here, and I’ve already got a good group of friends, mostly from the football team,” Jean-Jaques said. 

School counselor and football coach Matthew Giannettino described Jean-Jaques as “resilient, charismatic, and passionate” and noted that “he’s a leader in his own way. He leads by example and by his play. He’s probably one of the most talented kids I’ve been around.” 

Jean-Jaques’ friend and teammate Tad Fleuette ‘24 agreed energetically, describing him as “fast, chill and funny.” 

Here’s the big question everyone’s asking: How did Jean-Jaques land at St. Luke’s? 

Jean-Jaques had coach connections that could potentially lead him toward his biggest dream: walking across the NFL draft stage. St. Luke’s was his best option. 

After moving to Seymour, Connecticut, Jean-Jaques was playing 7v7 with a well-known coach at CT Pride. 

Jean-Jaques described his experience on the Seymour team. He said, “Their system wasn’t my fit. And it was difficult because the transfer process was hard.” 

One thing led to another, and with the help of Coach Matt, Jean-Jaques was welcomed onto the Hilltop. 

Jean-Jaques noted, “Coach Matt had just gotten to St. Luke’s, so it was a process for both of us. You know, getting used to things. He walked me through things, I took a tour here [in the summer], and I liked it. The main reason why I liked it was because of its education. They want to help the students. They teach you instead of just showing you.”

Jean-Jaques ventured to St. Luke’s to further his academic and athletic career and to improve his chances at his dream. He feels most comfortable with himself when on the field, pursuing his passion as the new wide receiver for the St. Luke’s football team. 

The 19-year-old homebody is dedicated to his family, motivated to improve on the football field, and is eager to leave a legacy in the St. Luke’s community. His love for the game of football only pushes him to do better for the sake of himself and his family.       

Jean-Jaques reflected, “I feel like having a weight on my shoulders from such a young age where I have to take care of all of my siblings. Making sure everyone’s okay. I just feel like having siblings and people who I care for around me gives me more motivation to keep going and keep grinding.”

View Comments (1)