The Student News Site of St. Luke's School

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

SLS on Instagram

Mixed Feelings About Storm Gear Fridays

Mixed Feelings About Storm Gear Fridays

This year, St. Luke’s introduced a new dress code. Part of this new dress code is Storm Gear Fridays, which allow students to wear any hoodie, shirt, or crew neck that is St. Luke’s related, with “any appropriate bottom in addition to any colored jeans.” The administration created Storm Gear Fridays to allow all students to participate. Every Friday the whole school can choose to wear storm gear. 

Students have mixed feelings about the Storm Gear Fridays. On one hand, they say that they should be able to wear Storm Gear on event or game days throughout the week. On the other hand, they enjoy Storm Gear Fridays. 

Aurora Levesque ‘24 said, ”I like the Storm Gear Fridays because we can wear whatever shirts or hoodies, but I do think we should be able to wear our sports jerseys on days of games.”

What  Levesque said is also how some other students feel about Storm Gear Fridays. Other students feel like they should be able to wear their theater shirts for school activities. 

Joe Derr ‘24 said, “In years past, we in the shows have been able to dress down for maybe one day the week after our show. Meanwhile, sports teams and activities got to wear their uniforms anytime they have a game. I think it would be cool if the school let us wear our theater or tech gear for the whole of Tech Week because sports teams dress in their athletic gear many times a year for their sports. If not, just let us dress down the Friday of our show at least.”

Staff and faculty feel like the change in dress code and Storm Gear Fridays are making a positive impact.

Dean of Students Noel Thomas said, “We wanted Fridays to be a celebration. We wanted to have a festive feel, so everybody, whether you’re an athlete, in the play, or a musician, if you’re at St. Luke’s, you’re celebrating.”   

Dr. William Bludgus said, “I think a lot of students participate. You come by on a Friday, and you’ll see a lot of St. Luke’s gear…My sense is that people are getting into it.”

Storm Gear Fridays will continue on, giving students opportunities to feel included and to represent the groups they are associated with. Every year they are tweaking the dress code more, so who knows what the next change will be?

View Comments (1)