The Student News Site of St. Luke's School

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

SLS on Instagram

The Hidden Artistic Talent in the Science Department

We walk past it every day – the beautiful scenery that adorns the science department office window every winter. Yet, none of us really know the history behind the gorgeous artworks.

I spoke to science teachers Margaret Calcio and Hannah Galos about the decoration that gets the second floor science wing into a festive mood. 

When asked who came up with the idea, Galos said, “Janet Jochem, Upper School Science Department Chair, usually comes up with the theme and figurines herself, and then passes it on to me and Ms. Calcio to come up with the design.” 

Calcio commented on the ice skating theme this year and said, “With ice skating you usually have to draw a pond and a beautiful winter setting.” Calcio had “already had previous experience making a ski lodge,” so it was a perfect addition. 

The full design took around “two hours cumulatively” said Calcio, but it was “spread out throughout Mrs. Galos and I’s availability.” 

When asked why the window decor was not made for every break, Galos said, “I think we in the science department are rather festive, so we like to have festive designs, and it is funny.” She thinks the artwork helps the students get excited for the holidays and winter season.

The window decor has been a long-running tradition in the science department, starting around ten years ago. 

“It started as a joke,” said Calcio. 

Susanna Clavelli, Upper School Science teacher, said “It started with Mr. Anderson, a teaching fellow. Doctor Higgins, Upper School Science Teacher, drew a snowman around his desk and he became Mr. Snowmanderson, and then it just evolved into what it is today.”  

Galos and Calcio have already begun brainstorming ideas for next year’s window. 

Calcio said, “It is a surprise for next year, but we’ve been thinking about ideas. I suggested moose earlier, and that could lead you down the right path, maybe further up north or further down south.”

Now that you know the history behind the Science Department office’s artwork, be sure to take your time walking past it and really take in the festive and well thought out artwork.

View Comments (1)