The Student News Site of St. Luke's School

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

SLS on Instagram

Beyond the Field: Exploring the Dual Roles of St. Luke’s Coaches

SLS Communications
SLS Girl’s Varsity Basketball, including Coach Pokorney

The beloved coaches at St. Luke’s have had an immense impact on their former and current players’ lives. Getting to know a teacher as a coach fosters a supportive and cordial atmosphere. 

Whether on the court or the field, teachers who also coach foster a special environment. Some who fall into this category include Jennifer Pokorney and Jean Myles. Seeing the teachers lead fellow students to victory creates a unique connection that helps to curate a sense of school spirit. 

As a coach, it is important to enforce an inspiring atmosphere to cultivate players’ growth while creating a positive environment. Jennifer Pokorney, co-coach of the girls varsity basketball team as well as middle school history teacher, said “It is a privilege to work with students in other areas that they choose and love. I feel that I have a job to support their goals and make the experience positive.” Pokorny’s commitment to the team as a coach stems from her love of the sport. “I love the sport and love working with young athletes and building a family atmosphere,” said Pokorney. 

Middle School Librarian Jean Myles, coach of middle school boys flag football, basketball, and baseball, became a coach for the 5th/6th grade baseball team during her first year as a faculty member at St. Luke’s. Myles said “the deepest relationships I’ve made with students is through coaching.” 

Coaching transcends the classroom as even parents have been inspired to join the St. Luke’s community through sports. Even if they are not coaching their own children, parent-coaches have had a positive impact on their players. Girls varsity lacrosse coach Katie Owsley recounted her desire to become a coach. She said, “I wanted to provide a positive experience for all of the girls playing. And of course – who wouldn’t want to coach with Ms. Besgen?” Owsley’s time as a coach has created a higher sense of school spirit; “It was really fantastic to get to know the whole athletic department last spring – I have so much respect for all of them, and I’ve found myself attending more games and events so I can catch up with them.”

St. Luke’s faculty, especially coaches, have an astounding impact on the St. Luke’s community. For that reason, teacher-coaches have double the impact. The energy that comes from the experience shared between players and coaches radiates to the crowd. Most importantly, in the words of Katie Owsley, “Go Storm!”